According to the Toronto Regional Real Estate Board, the federal government has launched a new program that offers homeowners grants to retrofit their homes and make them more energy efficient.
The Canada Greener Home Grants program provides funding up to $5,000 that can be invested by homeowners towards energy-saving projects.
These energy saving projects include such things as:
- Improved insulation;
- Air sealing and thermostats;
- Energy efficient heating and cooling equipment;
- Solar panels;
- Energy-efficient windows and doors
The program will also include grants of up to $600 that can be used for EnerGuide home energy audits. The Canada Greener Home Grants program is expected to award upwards of 700,000 homeowner grants over a seven-year period.
There are certain eligibility criteria that must be met in order for the homeowner to take advantage of the grants. These include such things as:
- Proof of ownership;
- Homeowners’ primary residence only;
- Eligible property types such as ground-related homes and small multi-unit residential buildings (up to 3 storeys);
- Applies to homes built six months ago or longer
- Complete a pre- and post-retrofit EnerGuide evaluation;
- Complete at least one retrofit that is both eligible and recommended by the energy advisor in order to be reimbursed.
Applications to register and book an energy efficiency evaluation are now available on the Natural Resources Canada website.
According to the Toronto Regional Real Estate Board, the government recently announced that it is providing up to $10 million to recruit, train and mentor 2,000 new energy auditors to support the anticipated need for energy advisors.
In this year's federal budget, the government proposed creating a separate fund of $4.4 billion over seven years through which the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) could offer homeowners interest-free loans of up to $40,000 in exchange for authorized energy-efficient retrofit projects.
These loans could be available as soon as this summer, and it is believed that more than 200,000 households will take part in the program.
Click here to register for the Canada Greener Homes Grant.***
Toronto Regional Real Estate Board (TRREB)(2021). Federal Government Launches New Home Retrofit Grant Program.
Subscribe to Monthly Newsletter
Explore More Articles
Daily Listings to Your Inbox
What's Your Home Worth?